One of the best celebration cakes I’ve made to date!
Two layers of extra decadent, super moist and fudgy chocolate cakes, filled with Nutella sauce and frosted with a dark chocolate Nutella frosting.
Nutella Chocolate Cake
Makes 1 8 or 9 inch layered cake or a 9 x 13 inch cake.
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (96gms) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (100gms) butter
- 1/3 cup (80mls) oil
- 1 cup (250mls) water (or coffee)
- 1 cup (200gms) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (100gms) soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125mls) buttermilk or sour cream (yoghurt or homemade ‘soured milk’* can substituted)
Dark Chocolate Nutella Frosting
- 3/4 cup (150gms) butter
- 170 gms dark chocolate (I used 50% but you can use as dark as you like)
- 6 tablespoons (85gms) cream cheese
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (340gms) Nutella
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Grease and flour cake tins.
- In a saucepan with high sides, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add in the cocoa powder, oil and water. Using a whisk and stirring constantly, gently cook the mixture until well combined and smooth. Let the mixture come to a boil, bubble it for about 15 seconds then take off the heat and pour into a large heatproof bowl. Immediately add in both sugars and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda and salt.
- To the cooled chocolate mix, add in eggs one at a time whisking only until just combined. Add in vanilla.
- Add in half of the dry mix then the buttermilk/sour cream then the remaining dry mix whisking until just combined. Batter will be very thin.
- Divide batter between cake tins and bake for 25 to 28 minutes until baked through and a toothpick or knife comes out clean. Cool cake in tins for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before placing in airtight containers to cool completely.
For the frosting
- In a microwavable bowl, place chocolate and melt in the microwave, stopping every 20 second to stir. Heat and stir until almost completely melted. The warmth of the melted chocolate will melt whatever bits of chocolate left. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In another medium bowl, combine the butter and cream cheese and beat using an electric mixer until smooth and well blended.
- Add in the Nutella and mix until completely incorporated. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add in the melted chocolate and mix until everything is well combined, scraping the bowl as need.
*To make sour milk; measure 1/2 cup of milk into a glass. Remove 1 1/2 teaspoons of the milk and replace with 1 1/2 teaspoons of vinegar. Let it sit for about 5 minutes then use as stated in the recipe.
Cake recipe by the dutch baker. Frosting adapted from Cleobuttera.