Happy summer everyone 😊 hope you’re all staying cool during this crazy heat! There have been many heat waves everywhere and although sometimes you just want to dive head first into a bucket of ice, it doesn’t really bother me much because I love summer and prefer the heat as I’m not really good with cold weather especially rainy grey skies! I do hope you guys are staying safe though 💙
It’s been a while since I’ve had the chance to publish a recipe, I haven’t been able to bake as much as I want to either because things have been kind of hectic lately. Moving houses, switching up pretty much everything in my life and just hoping for new beginnings 😁
This doesn’t mean that cookies haven’t been appearing randomly and suddenly out of nowhere, they’re practically the only thing I’ve been baking these days 😂 no complaints there!
This is a very simple and straightforward recipe and one that I’ve been making for a while now. It’s basically just my regular chewy oatmeal cookies with a luscious layer of toffee sandwiched in between 😉 crazy right! They are so unbelievably good I couldn’t believe that I had never made them before!
The texture of the toffee with the soft cookie just melds together and turns into the most satisfying cookie experience! 😍
All you have to do is make the cookies as you normally would; cook up some toffee sauce, add a bit of icing sugar to it then take a cookie, smear some of this toffee on it and place another cookie on top. Magic I tell ya 😁
Since each cookie sandwich is made up of two cookies, I recommend baking the cookies small. I did 1 tablespoon per cookie dough ball and also flattened each one slightly as I wanted them to be on the thinner side. This recipe makes about 25 cookies this way so you’ll end up with a dozen cookie sandwiches 👌🏻
Of course you could make them bigger if you prefer, I mean who am I to judge 😁
I can’t wait to make these again! Especially with different kinds of fillings and add ins, next up: peanut butter! 😍
Enjoy these my friends 🌷🌷 and remember to tag me with your pics! @dutchbakerblog 🍪
Toffee oatmeal cookies
Makes 12 – 13 cookie sandwiches (about 24 – 26 single cookies)
- 1/4 cup (50gms) butter
- 1/2 cup (100gms) soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60mls) milk
- 1/3 – 2/3 cup icing sugar
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda, salt, cinnamon and oats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and both sugars until well combined.
- Add in the egg yolks one at a time whisking just until combined. Stir in vanilla extract and honey.
- Add in the flour/oat mix in batches stirring only until just combined. Fold in toffee pieces if using. Dough will be soft. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours or up to a week.
- When ready to bake, scoop balls of dough, flatten slightly for a thinner cookie (I recommend baking one cookie to see how it bakes so you know whether you need to flatten or not) and bake in a preheated 160C/325F oven until golden brown around the edges but still soft in the centre. Make sure not to over bake the cookies as they will continue to cook on the baking tray as they cool. Cool on tray for 10 minutes before placing in a container.
To make the filling
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the brown sugar and milk. Increase the heat to medium and wait until the mixture begins to boil, stirring occasionally. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Beat the powdered sugar into the frosting until it becomes lighter and spreadable. Add a pinch of salt and/or vanilla if desired.
- Spread filling between two cookies and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
Recipe by the Dutch Baker.