It’s always fun when you play around in the kitchen and whatever you end up making turns out to be so fantastic you just wonder why you haven’t always been making it! 😉
That is exactly what happened with me here when I set out to make something sweet to indulge a deep desire for sugar. I totally went out on a limb as I had practically NO ingredients to make anything that is anything, not even the basic stuff like brown sugar and sour cream or even enough butter, milk or flour but I was determined to have something baked like right now so I just went with the flow and magic happened 🙂
Even when I make these again, I will most definitely use these same ingredients and make em the same exact way because this is a bake that is meant to be failproof and guarantee outstanding results no matter what you throw into it.
Basically I looked for what fruit I could add to my wets to make up for my lack of dairy which was just 1 banana and 1 apple. Mashed and shredded those, whisked em in a bowl with oil (because not enough butter remember 😉 ), sugar (some of which was homemade brown sugar), eggs, vanilla and homemade buttermilk and then stirred in the dry mix and baked away.
Results were better than expected! 😉 so incredibly soft and moist and just bursting with flavour!
To make up for my lack of butter for the frosting I made some delicious chunky peanut butter frosting and I must say that this trio of flavours was soo good, I’ve already got a bunch of new bakes ready to test using them. Banana+apple is good enough but then with the addition of peanut butter…. swoon! 🙂
These are probably the easiest cupcakes you’ll ever make and one of the most delicious!
Banana Apple Cupcake With Peanut Butter Frosting
Makes 12 – 14 cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125mls) oil
- 1/2 cup (100gms) soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50gms) white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 over ripe bananas (1/2 cup) mashed
- 1 large apple (3/4 cup) shredded
- 1/4 cup (60mls) buttermilk*
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (and cinnamon if using) until well combined.
- In mixing bowl, whisk oil and both sugars until combined. Mix will be gritty.
- Add in eggs one at a time then vanilla.
- Whisk in the mashed banana and shredded apple then fold in the flour mix in two batches alternating with the buttermilk taking care not to over mix. Batter will be slightly thick. Walnuts can be folded in at this stage too.
- Divide batter into into cupcake cups and bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until baked through.
- Cool completely before frosting. Store cupcakes in an airtight container.
*To make your own buttermilk; measure 1/4 cup of milk into a glass. Remove 3/4 teaspoons of the milk and replace with 3/4 teaspoons of vinegar. Let it sit for about 5 minutes then use as stated in the recipe.
Recipe by the dutch baker.