I’ve been so addicted to these donuts it’s unreal. I think about them before I go to sleep, I think about when I wake up, they’re on my mind all day heck I’m pretty sure I dream about these guys too! 😀
I am so happy to have FINALLY perfected a delicious sour cream donut because let’s face it, you can’t say you’re a donut freak unless you love all donuts right 😉 you don’t even have to like donuts to enjoy these guys because they are so amazing, you’ll just want to keep eating regardless to what they are!
The recipe for these donuts are very easy and the dough itself is good to work with. I started by creaming some butter and sugar, cakey-ness 😉 then adding in the yolks and sour cream. Sour cream makes these donuts super soft and creamy and they stay like that for hours later! I have used yoghurt also in place of the sour cream so if you don’t have sour cream, yoghurt is fine 😊
The texture of the fried donut is to die for! Super soft and creamy, fluffy while having a good bite to it and the flavour is out of this world! I used vanilla to flavour them but you can add any spice to them 😊
I chose to dunk these babies in a simple glaze because I wanted that classic donut vibe but feel free to dip in any flavour you like. They’re really delicious with everything.
Here is a blueberry version where I dipped them in some blueberry puree stirred with water and icing sugar 😉
To get those classic crinkles, slice about 3 to 4 slits across the tops of each donut then fry this cut side down. You don’t have to do this but it’s fun 😉
I had such a blast making these and I can’t wait to make them again! I’m already working on a chocolate version 😉😉
I hope you enjoy these donuts and if you make them tag me @dutchbakerblog with your pics on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter 💛
Sour Cream Donuts
Makes 12 – 16 donuts.
- 1/4 cup (50gms) softened butter
- 2/3 cups sugar, I use caster sugar
- 4 egg yolks*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and/or cinnamon
- 4 cups (500gms) all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream**
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) icing sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream butter and sugar, it’ll be more crumbly then creamy but do the best you can to get it creamy.
- Add in the egg yolks and vanilla and whisk until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add in the sour cream and whisk smooth.
- Whisk together all the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and spices and add to batter in 2 batches stirring until just combined. I used a wooden spoon for this because you don’t have to knead. Stir just until dough comes together. It’ll be sticky but manageable. Transfer to an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or overnight.
- Roll dough into a circle no less than 1/2 inch thick. Cut out donuts and place on a tray, cover and chill again for 20 – 30 minutes (this is to help handling the donuts).
- Take each donut and cut 3 or 4 slits across one side then fry in oil, (380F) cut side down first. I recommend sunflower or canola oil, anything but corn oil. Fry both sides until golden brown and puffy.
- Place on kitchen paper towels for a few seconds to drain excess oil then dip into the glaze and place on wire racks to cool. cool
*I LOVE the donuts using all yolks, it makes the donuts very tender, but if you want a little bit of a fluffier donut then you can use 1 whole egg + 2 yolks.
**Sour cream can be substituted with yoghurt.