I don’t usually like to share recipes that have the same ingredient in them back to back but these cookies need a place on my blog like right now and I just couldn’t wait any longer! 😁
Imagine the most softest, butteriest (that a word!? 😂) melt in your mouth moist and delicious cookie in the world that has been infused with a whole tub of peanut butter! 😋😋 that’s exactly what you get here, except better!
My family actually called these peanut butter shortbread because of their dreamy taste and texture.
Really it’s just the good quality ingredients used to make them: butter, soft brown sugar (always!), an egg, vanilla and peanut butter of course. I used creamy peanut butter this time around but you can most definitely use crunchy peanut butter 😉
This recipe is very similar to my thick and soft peanut butter cookies just taken to another level. I decreased the flour slightly, more chew and softness, and upped the peanut butter for extra peanut butteryness 😊
The recipe itself is super simple, just creaming butter and sugars then adding everything else in. The dough must be chilled before baking or else they will spread too much.
Flatten them slightly, make that iconic crisscross pattern and bake away! 😃
I like to store these warm in an airtight container and let them cool completely in there. They turn out so amazing like that!
Enjoy these cookies my friends, they’re worth every effort! 😊
Tag me @dutchbakerblog with your pics on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter 💜
Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 15 to 18 cookies.
- 1 1/4 cups (150 gms) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (100 gms) softened butter
- 1/2 cup (100 gms) soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 gms) white sugar (add 1 – 2 tablespoons more if you like a sweeter cookie)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons creamy or chunky peanut butter*
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and soda and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, add sugars and whisk until paled and fluffy. Whisk in peanut butter until smooth and combined.
- Add in egg and vanilla whisking until combined.
- Whisk in the flour mix only until just combined, take care not to over mix.
- Cover dough and chill for minimum 2 hours or overnight if you can.
- Remove cookie dough from the fridge and allow to sit for about 20 minutes or until you can scoop balls of dough. Preheat oven to 160C/325F.
- Roll dough into balls and place onto a floured baking tray or baking paper. Slightly flatten each cookie dough ball with a fork in a criss cross pattern, once horizontally and once vertically. Bake until puffy and just slightly golden, 8 – 11 minutes. Make sure not to over bake so cookies will be soft. Remove from oven slightly undercooked as they will continue cooking once taken out. Leave cookies on hot baking tray until slightly cooled then place on wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes before placing in an airtight container to cool completely.
Recipe by the dutch baker.