I find it quite amusing that as I am typing this, I currently have a fresh batch of donut dough rising in the fridge just waiting to be cut up and fried! I realize that I may have a slight problem with this specific addiction of mine but right now I “doNUT” care 😂😂 get it, do not-donut 😂 I’m lame I know!
But seriously, how can someone care when they are eating a freshly fried, buttery soft, super creamy and dreamy pastry creme filled donut. I mean honestly could life get any better 💙
I’m so happy to finally be able to post this gorgeous classic. The base recipe is my ever so delicious homemade donuts recipe and I filled it with a really silky and creamy pastry creme. Tossed em in some powdered sugar and I literally bit into a dreamy cloud!
Everything is very straightforward, make the pastry creme first as that needs the longest since it needs to be chilled for a few hours before using. I recommend preparing the donut dough and the creme at night then pop them both in the fridge. Come next morning both will be ready to use so you’ll be good to go with hardly any waiting time. This is how I usually make my donuts 😊
I love the ease of this recipe as well as the versatility of it. I made big donuts, just over a dozen fat and puffy ones but you can make as many as you like just depends on how thick you roll out the dough. I say no less than 1/2 an inch for the ultimate donut experience 😉
As a last note, a few tips to guarantee success with these babes:
- Try your best to keep the dough as sticky and tacky as possible. It should barely be able to hold itself together.
- After taking the donuts out of the oil and placing on kitchen paper towels for a few minutes, toss them in the powdered sugar before placing on a wire rack to cool.
- Fill the donuts with the creme right before you are about to serve them so that they don’t get soggy as they sit.
I can’t wait for you guys to try these and for sure let me know how they turn out!
Tag me with all your pics @dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter 💙
Classic Bavarian Donuts
Makes 12 to 15 large donuts. Click here for my best donut making tips.
- One batch classic homemade donuts
- 1 cup or more icing sugar, for tossing donuts
- 1 1/2 cups (375mls) whole milk
- 1/2 cup (100gms) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cake flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons (90mls) whipping cream
- Prepare the donuts as written in the recipe making sure not to cut out hole in the donuts 😉
- Make the Pastry Cream: While the dough is chilling, make the pastry cream. In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks until well combined, about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture until thick and pasty. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the milk until bubbles just start to form around the edges (do not let the milk boil).
- Remove the milk from the heat and slowly drizzle into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Scrape the egg mixture back into the saucepan and place over medium heat, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 3 minutes. Boil, whisking, for 10 seconds (the cream will become thick and glossy and won’t have any foam on top), then immediately remove from heat.
- Pour the pastry cream through a fine mesh sieve set over a small bowl and whisk in the vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap against the surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.
- While you’re waiting for the donuts to cool, beat the 6 tablespoons of whipping cream on medium-high speed until still peaks form. Whisk the chilled pastry cream to loosen it up, then gently fold in one-third of the whipped cream. Fold in the remaining whipped cream until no white streaks remain.
- Take donuts out of the oil and drain on some paper towels. Toss in some icing sugar before placing on a wire rack to cool competely before filling.
- Transfer the cream to a pastry bag fitting with a small round decorating tip. Poke a hole in the side of each donut and fill with pastry cream. The donuts should be served as soon as they are filled.
*To make your own cake flour, measure 1/4 cup all purpose flour, remove 1 1/2 teaspoons and replace with 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch/cornflour.
Pastry creme adapted from Vanilla Creme Sugar Donuts.