I’ve recently realized that alot of people generally make carrot cake in the spring time but to me, winter wouldn’t be complete without a healthy dose of beautifully spiced carrot cakes 🙂 by dose I mean a huge batch of perfectly moist and fluffy cakes slathered with luscious cream cheese frosting of course!
You can’t beat the classics! there are so many ways to make carrot cake with everyone tweaking and adding different things to them. Whether it’s got nuts and dried fruit or coconut and pineapple, carrot cake is loved by many 🙂 I personally love carrot cake just like that, plain, simple and perfectly spiced with a thick cream cheese frosting. Recently I’ve been adding some nuts on top which is a wonderful addition. I also have to have a drizzle of caramel on top of my carrot cake, it just has to be there! 🙂
I’ve been making this same carrot cake recipe since the first time I tried it. I love how super moist it is without being overly soggy or mushy with a nice fluffy texture to the cake. I use a mixture of oil and applesauce to ensure moisture, the applesauce is a must as it adds great flavour and texture to the cupcakes. Homemade applesauce is totally fine here if you don’t have store bought.
For spices, my favourite is cinnamon, obviously, and ginger. Fresh ginger if you can! It adds such a wonderful zing to the cupcake 🙂 if you don’t want fresh ginger then ground ginger is just as good 🙂 nutmeg and cloves are great too! Just a little of each but if they’re not available then the ginger and cinnamon is perfect.
This is my go to cream cheese frosting that I use on EVERYTHING! My family said it was especially delicious here on these cupcakes 🙂 it’s a very simple recipe that will just make you fall in love!
Remember to tag me with your pics on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter @dutchbakerblog 😉
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Makes 12 – 14 cupcakes or a single 8 or 9 inch cake.
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1/2 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (100gms) white sugar
- 1/4 cup (50gms) soft dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mls) oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60gms) unsweetened applesauce*
- 1 1/2 cups (225gms) finely shredded carrots
Cream cheese frosting
- 6 tablespoons (65gms) butter
- 1/2 cup (4oz) brick style cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 tablespoons sour cream/whipping cream, if needed
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices until very well combined.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla and both sugars until slightly lightened in colour and thicker, about 1 minute. Pour in the oil while whisking to incorporate.
- Add in the applesauce and then half of the dry mix and whisk to combine.
- Add the carrots to the remaining dry mix and stir to coat, this helps distribute the carrots evenly throughout the cupcakes. Add mixture to the batter and stir until combined.
- Divide batter between cupcake cups and bake until cooked through, 15 – 17 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
For the frosting
- Whisk butter and cream cheese until combined and creamy, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in icing sugar in 2 batches whisking in between each addition. Add in vanilla and cream if needed to reach desired consistancy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and tops with nuts.
Keep cupcakes stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the fridge.
*Applesauce can be replaced with crushed pineapple if desired.
Recipe by the dutch baker.