I never thought that l would find a donut more delicious than my original krispy kreme copycat donuts but when I had a few sachets of extra coffee left over and my donut dough rising almost ready to fry, I thought I’d see how it would turn out dipping the donuts in a coffee kissed glaze and ohh….my..God..!! They turned out to be the most AMAZING donuts to ever grace this planet!
I don’t think I can ever eat a donut another way again 😛
I was initially going to double the donut recipe as I wanted to have more donuts to go around but I didn’t have enough eggs and although I could have tried to make them anyway thinking it wouldn’t make a huge difference since it’s a donut right, but this is one of those recipes that I don’t tinker with. It’s such a delicious and perfect recipe that I always make it as written. I then decided to cut the dounts out smaller to make them as minis since mini donuts are on my “to bake” list anyway so figured I’d hit two birds with one stone right 😀
The glaze is very similar to the original, with the addition of a couple of teaspoons coffee powder. Now I used a coffee sachet already containing cream powder inside but you can use any regular black coffee granules or even any 3 in 1 or 2 in 1 ready made coffee sachets but I recommend using one without sugar added since you’re already going to add sugar. Duhh it’s a glaze :-!
Don’t forget to tag me @dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter with all your dutch baker bakes. I LOVE seeing them!
Coffee ‘n’ cream Mini Donuts
- One recipe krispy kreme copycats donuts
- 1 Cup/125gms icing sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons coffee powder/granules
- 1 Tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1 – 2 Teaspoons hot water
- Optional: 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare donuts through step 4 until ready to cut out the donuts. Roll dough into a cirlce that’s about 1/2 inch in thickness. Using a small circle cutter, about 2 inches, cut out as many donuts and holes as you can. Re roll the scraps just once and cut out any extra donuts.
- Place donuts onto a heavily floured tray and cover well to rise about 30 – 40 minutes until puffy.
- Heat oil to 190C and fry donuts a few at a time for about 30 – 40 seconds on each time or until golden brown in colour. Place each donut onto some kitchen towels to drain off the excess oil before placing on a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the glaze adding more or less water until desired thickness is reached. Dip warm donuts into glaze, flip and place on wire rack.
Donuts are best eaten warm on the same day but can be stored for up to 3 days in an air tight container.
Recipe by the dutch baker.
Check out my original krispy kreme donuts if you’d like to be in for a treat 😉
And of course my guide on making perfect homemade donuts.