Bread is one of those things that are quite life changing. I mean it is pretty much the most important base of our daily consumption, nobody and nothing can live without it, and whenever you manage to create or make your own bread you just feel like a rock star 😄
Everyone who knows me or follows my blog knows my deep love for all bread. I spent nearly a whole year making and remaking all types of bread until I felt like I’ve perfected all the bread bases and feel confident enough to know how to make fresh bread from scratch and without a stand mixer to knead ;)😄
These pitas were no exception. This was actually one of those recipes that I tried once and never looked back. I never tried another one and don’t think I will because this one is fabulous! 🙂
I made these in 2 different ways. Half in the oven, all baked and puffy, and half in a non stick pan on the stove top. I loved both of them so I just make whatever way is convenient at the time 😄
These pitas are so easy and delicious, they’re sure to be a staple in your bread pantry 😄
Stack on top of each other to flatten.
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Add yeast to warm water with a pinch of sugar and rest for 5 minuted until thick. Add in the oil.
- Whisk flour and salt together and add to liquids in small increments until a smooth, soft dough forms. Dough should be slightly sticky. Knead for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Rise for 1 1/2 – 2 hours until doubled in size.
- Roll dough into balls about the size of gold balls. Roll out into circles about 1/4 inch thick and 6 inches wide. Cover with kitchen towel and rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 250C and bake for a few minutes on each side until puffy and golden.
- Alternatively, heat a non stick pan and place dough circles inside. Cover with lid and cook each side until puffy and golden.
Recipe adapted from Veg recipes of India.