It’s been a while since I shared a vanilla based cupcake 😊 what with all these chocolate cakes, cupcakes, cookies and muffins and I’ve been reaaaaallly craving a vanilla cupcake, this one to be exact! I dream about this vanilla cupcake 😍
Today’s version features one of the most delicious chocolate frostings I’ve ever tasted. It’s made with evaporated milk which is one of my favourite ingredients to bake with! It brings out such a delicious flavour in everything just like with these donuts and a new cinnamon bread I’ll be sharing very soon 😉
I actually contemplated using this frosting in these Oreo cupcakes but ended up making that batch with my favourite classic chocolate frosting but I use this one alternatively with that one. This is truly a milk chocolate frosting in all the best ways and I LOVE using it when I’m using chocolate bars as a topping.
The vanilla base is the same as my peanut butter and jam cupcakes and Bounty cupcakes which is my go to vanilla yellow cupcake recipe. It has sour cream and lots of butter using the reverse creaming method which makes such a beautiful crumb texture and the most delicious flavours.
This is definitely one of my favourite cupcakes! The combination of the buttery vanilla base topped with a creamy milk chocolate frosting and Kit Kats 😄
Kit Kat Cupcakes
Makes 12 – 14 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups (155gms) + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups (150gms) sugar
- 1/2 cup (100gms) softened butter cut into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120gms) sour cream*
- Chopped Kit Kats for topping
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cornflour, salt and sugar until well combined.
- Add the chopped butter and mix until all the flour is moistened and mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Add in eggs one at a time whisking well between each addition. Whisk in oil and mix until batter is smooth.
- Add in sour cream and vanilla and whisk until batter is smooth, creamy and fluffy.
- Divide batter between cupcake cups and bake until cooked through, 15 – 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack before frosting (recipe follows).
Milk chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup (100gms) butter
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups (225 – 250gms) icing sugar
- 1/4 cup (24gms) cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk butter until fluffy.
- Add in icing sugar and cocoa powder alternating with evaporated milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Whisk in vanilla to taste.
Recipe makes enough frosting for 12 cupcakes and can be easily halved or doubled.
*Sour cream can be replaced with thick Greek yoghurt or regular plain yoghurt but texture may vary slightly.
Recipe by the dutch baker.