A delicious and smooth honey flavoured butterscotch sauce that goes so well with pretty much every baked good whether it’s a cake or cupcake, cookies or brownies and even breads and rolls.
I used this to top a banana cake as well as a honey muffin and it was super delicious 😄
It’s a very simple sauce to make and you start off by adding the sugar and honey into a saucepan over medium heat.
Whisk the mixture until the sugar has melted and it starts to bubble.
Allow the mixture to cook, swirling the pan to stir, try not to whisk it, until the sauce caramelizes and becomes amber brown in colour. This only takes a couple of minutes so don’t leave the sauce.
As soon as the butterscotch is ready, add in the cream and stir fast. It will bubble and rise in volume so take care.
And in the butter and salt.
Pour into a container and cool before refrigerating.
Use this honey butterscotch to drizzle on top of your bakes or just to eat with a spoon 😉
Honey Butterscotch Sauce
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup (60mls) honey
- 1/2 cup (125mls) whipping cream*
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar and honey until the sugar is melted and mixture starts to bubble.
- Once mixture begins to bubble, stop stirring and cook for a couple of minutes until butterscotch is golden brown in colour. Swirl the pan occasionally to mix the sauce, do not use a whisk to mix the butterscotch.
- As soon as the butterscotch has bubbled and darkened in colour, take off the heat and stir in the cream using a wooden spoon. Mixture will bubble vigorously and rise in volume so take care.
- Stir in the butter and whisk smooth. Add in salt to taste and cool.
*For a thicker butterscotch sauce use thick cream instead of whipping cream.
Honey butterscotch is best stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Recipe adapted from The Cake Blog.