Behold the one and only, insanely delicious, buttery, light, moist, rich, soft, beautifully vanilla-y vanilla cupcake 😄
I am super excited to share with you guys my absolute favourite vanilla cupcake recipe!
After perfecting my favourite super moist chocolate cupcake and the best chocolate fudge cupcakes, it was finally time to focus on creating the ultimate vanilla cupcake recipe. I already have my best go to yellow vanilla cupcake recipe that I’ve shared multiple times before., this one having step by step pictures, which I adore and make whenever I need to make a vanilla based cupcake with different toppings and fillings but I needed one that I could make only to be frosted with a delicious vanilla frosted for that classic vanilla on vanilla cupcake. That’s where these come in 😍
It wasn’t very hard to actually create this cupcake but I needed to test a few variations to make sure that all my requirements were met:
- Extra light, fluffy and moist with a lovely crumb texture
- An undeniable rich, butter flavour bursting with each bite
- Easy to make with minimal equipment and ingredients needed
All of which are met with this recipe plus beautiful tops that can be easily frosted AND piled high with frosting 😉
Speaking about the tops, you can see here how light and springy these cupcakes are. They’re very delicious and the smell they release as they’ve being baked is incredible! Seriously these cupcakes are a must try 😊
The technique I used is my all time favorite reverse creaming technique which is what I think is the best way to achieve a light and moist crumb, just like the standard creaming technique but producing an even more pronounced butter flavour 😋😋
I frosted these cupcakes using my ever so popular go to vanilla buttercream frosting recipe but I went even further and whisked it for a longer time to make it extra creamy and fluffy. This went so perfectly with the cupcake itself ☺
My all time favourite vanilla cupcake recipe 💛💛
The Best Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes 12 – 14 standard cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (see directions below to see how to make your own cake flour)*
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (150gms) sugar
- 3/4 cup (150gms) butter, chopped into pieces
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pods from 1 vanilla bean, optional
- 1/4 cup (60gms) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60mls) milk
Whipped Vanilla Frosting
- 1/2 cup (100gms) salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups (190gms) icing sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to180C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and soda and salt until well combined. Add in sugar and whisk well.
- Add in the chopped butter and whisk until all the flour is moistened and mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Add in the eggs 1 at a time followed by the egg yolk. Whisk mixture until smooth and fluffy.
- Whisk in the sour cream, vanilla extracts and pods, if using, and the milk. Whisk batter until well blended and creamy.
- Spoon batter into prepared cupcake cups filling no more then 2/3 full. Bake for 15 – 17 minutes until baked through and toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack before frosting.
For the frosting
- Whisk butter on high speed until very pale in colour and creamy, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Whisk in icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time whisking for about a minute between each addition.
- Pour in cream and turn whisk on to medium high and whisk for about 3 – 5 minutes until frosting becomes extra creamy and fluffy.
- Whisk in vanilla extract to taste and whisk well. Frost cooled cupcakes and store in an air tight container.
*To make your own cake flour, measure 1 1/2 cups of flour, remove 3 tablespoons and replace with 3 tablespoons of cornflour. Whisk well and continue as stated.