What’s wintery cold days without a delicious and classic carrot cake 🙂 I love carrot cakes, I was the one who introduced them to my younger siblings when I first got into baking and it’s been a favourite cake since then 🙂
My family and I like moist, soft and lightly spiced carrot cakes with no additional add ins like nuts or dried fruits or things like that. We just enjoy it all velvety and smooth especially with the cream cheese frosting 😍. It’s just how we do it here, simple, quick and delicious. I haven’t dismissed all of you guys though, who do like chunky carrot cakes and have added some notes below on how to incorporate these into the carrot cake 😊.
I have a new found obsession with drizzling caramel sauce on my carrot cake 😋 it’s so insanely delicious, pairs so well with the flavours! 😍
This is a super simple, no mixer required carrot cake that can be whipped up within minutes. I like to spice my carrot cakes mainly with cinnamon and something which I only recently discovered, fresh ginger. If you guys have never made carrot cakes with fresh ginger then you’re definitely missing out! The warm spice and extra zing it gives is super delicious and the aroma it gives is to die for 🙂
I absolutely love cream cheese frosting! I’ve pretty much dolloped it on everything and of course carrot cake is no exception. This frosting is so delicious and silky, creamy and light, the perfect topping for this gorgeous carrot cake.
Delicious, ultra moist and easy. A perfect version of a classic carrot cake ❤
The Carrot Cake
Makes 1 doubled layered 9 inch cake or 3 layered 8 inch cake
- 2 1/2 cups peeled, shredded carrots (use smallest hole grater)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80mls) buttermilk (see notes below to make your own)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (250gms) sugar
- 1/2 cup (100gms) dark or light soft brown sugar
- 1 cup (250mls) oil
- 1/2 cup (125mls) unsweetened applesauce (oil can be substituted)*
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups (375gms) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (up to 2 teaspoons if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or to taste, 1/8 teaspoon cloves or to taste
- Optional: 1 cup chopped pecans, raisins, shredded coconut, dried fruits or a mix of these to equal 1 cup
Cream cheese frosting
- 3/4 cup (150gms) butter (I use half salted half unsalted)
- 16 oz (450gms) brick style cream cheese
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups (300 – 375gms) icing sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons sour cream or whipping cream
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and flour 2 round 9 inch cake or 3 round 8 inch tins. If you can’t find buttermilk then make your own by measuring 1/3 cup milk into a glass. Remove 1 teaspoon and replace with 1 teaspoon of white vinegar. Leave aside for about 5 – 10 minutes while you prepare the batter, it will thicken slightly.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger (if using ground ginger) and optional spices of your liking.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, sugars and oil.
- Whisk together the carrots and fresh ginger (if not using ground ginger) and pour about half of the flour mix on top. Whisk to coat carrots with flour mix.
- Add remaining flour mix to liquids and whisk until just combined. Then fold in the carrots mixed with flour to the batter, whisking until just combined. Fold in pecans if desired.
- Divide batter between cake tins and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until baked through. Cool before frosting.
Cream cheese frosting
- Whisk butter and cream cheese for 4 – 5 minutes on high speed.
- Whisk in icing sugar 1 cup at a time. Whisk in sour cream.
- Add in vanilla to taste and salt if needed. Frost cooled cakes and serve.
*Unsweetened applesauce can be substituted with pineapple chunks if desired.
Be sure to check out some of my other carrot cake recipes: