I absolutely love banana muffins 🙂 they’re definitely one of my favourite muffins and this might just be my favourite muffin recipe ever! It’s just so simple and never fails me 🙂
Left over bananas are always around my place because my family never seem to want to eat the whole bunch before they become over ripe so luckily I’ve been able to experiment quite a bit with banana recipes 🙂 this has been one I’ve not changed in ages! 🙂
The muffins are super moist and delicious, and they come together so quickly. The batter is also perfect for adding things to it like nuts or chocolate chips. You can even swirl some Nutella into the batter! 😉
Look at those muffin tops! 🙂
You don’t actually have to make these muffins big like these. I’ve made them as regular cupcake sizes as well as mini muffins.
The trick to getting the tops this beautiful is to fill the cupcake cups all the way to the tops with batter (picture below) and start baking the muffins at a higher heat for a few minutes then lower the heat and bake until they are cooked through 🙂
Of course another must,and this goes for all banana recipes, is to ensure that your bananas are very over ripe. Pick the ones that are all brown and spotted because that is what makes that perfect texture and flavour in your muffins, cakes or cupcakes 🙂
Mmm I just love these tops! 🙂 I can eat these muffins non stop, they’re just that delicious! 🙂
The best banana muffin recipe you’ll ever find! 🙂
Remember to tag me @dutchbakerblog or hashtag #dutchbakerblog on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter so I can see all your dutch baker bakes 💛
Makes 12 large, or 16 – 18 regular sized muffins
- 2 1/4 cups (280gms) flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (100gms) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (100gms) soft brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125mls) oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 over ripe, spotted bananas mashed well
- 1/4 cup (60mls) buttermilk (see notes below for directions to make your own buttermilk)
- Optional, cinnamon, chocolate chips; milk, dark or white, cinnamon chips, toffee pieces, nuts
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt (and cinnamon if desired) until well combined.
- In mixing bowl, whisk oil and sugars together. Add in eggs one at a time whisking between each addition. Whisk in vanilla until combined.
- Whisk in the mashed bananas then fold in the flour mix alternating with buttermilk taking care not to over mix. Batter will be thick. Extras can be folded in at this stage too like the chocolate chips or nuts.
- Spread batter into cupcake cups making sure to fill to the top, and bake for 8 minutes then, keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the heat to 180C and bake until muffins are cooked through, about 12 – 15 more minutes.
*To make buttermilk, measure 1/4 milk into a cup. Remove 3/4 teaspoon of the milk and replace with 3/4 teaspoon white vinegar. Leave to rest until you prepare the muffin batter, the milk/buttermilk will thicken slightly. Whisk and use as stated above.
Recipe by the dutch baker.