This recipe has been a long time coming 😉 Oh yes it sure has! I’ve been searching high and low for the perfect, NO MIXER, extra moist and rich chocolate cupcake and after nearly a year and a half, I can finally say that these are the one 😉
There are plenty of chocolate cupcake recipes out there but I was looking for something specific. I wanted an easy, extra moist, no mixer required recipe that was light yet chocolate-y and could be made using the simplest ingredients. I love that this recipe uses whipping cream so you know that the crumb will be extra soft 😉
The batter is thin and creamy which produces an ultra soft and moist crumb with a slightly domed top, which is perfect for piling up your frosting 🙂
And ohh this frosting…….. 😉
While you can use any topping for these cupcakes, this frosting has no words! Smooth, fluffy, creamy and chocolate-y 🙂 so deliciously luscious, a perfect compliment to the chocolate cupcake 🙂
I actually made two batches of cupcakes with two different frostings, one is chocolate cream cheese and the other is a classic chocolate frosting. Both were very delicious so I’ve added the recipe for both below 🙂
The recipe requires you to whisk the cocoa powder with boiling water before adding it to the batter. This technique is called blooming and what it does is bring out the chocolate flavour making the cupcakes extra rich 🙂
I love that this recipe makes 12 perfectly rounded cupcakes 🙂 I made these (picture below) the previous night and you can see how smooth the tops are.
Moist, tender and rich, the perfect choice for a delicious chocolate cupcake 🙂
Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1/3 cup (30 gms) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (118 mls) boiling water
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (175 gms) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 gms) melted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (60 mls) whipping cream
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons (105 gms) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and baking soda until well combined. Pour in boiling water and whisk well until mixture stops bubbling and is combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, oil and sugar until incorporated. Add in egg and vanilla. Whisk well.
- Pour in the cooled chocolate mixture, whisk to combine then pour in the whipping cream.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until well combined. Add this dry mix into the liquid batter and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Divide batter between cupcake cups and bake until a toothpick (or knife) comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Place onto wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 oz (3/4 cup) cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 4 – 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: pinch of salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk butter and cream cheese until combined and creamy.
- Add in icing sugar one cup at a time, whisking for about 30 seconds in between each.
- Whisk in cocoa powder adding more or less according to desired tastes.
- Add in vanilla extract and salt if using. Whisk frosting for about a minute on medium speed to make it extra fluffy.
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- 10 tablespoons (125 gms) butter (I use 5 tablespoons salted and 5 tablespoons unsalted)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whisk butter for about a minute until creamy.
- Add in sifted icing sugar and cocoa powder. Whisk slowly until mixture is combined then increase speed and whisk for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add in cream and whisk for another minute or two until fluffy.
- Add in vanilla to taste.