It’s my birthday today 🙂 so when it came time to make my cake (I must be the one to make it of course 😉 ), I knew that I’d be making a cake that revolves around peanut butter and chocolate and what better way is there than to incorporate Reeses Peanut Butter Cups into the mix! 🙂 🙂
Im so happy with how this cake turned out, there is a thick layer of peanut butter cream cheese filling sandwiched between two layers of ultra moist and delicious peanut butter cakes, topped with a creamy and rich dark chocolate frosting. I’ve been perfecting this recipe for years now adjusting and tweaking all parts of the cake, bit by bit 🙂
The peanut butter cakes are made from the same recipe as these double peanut butter cupcakes. It’s a perfectly moist, slightly dense cake loaded with peanut butter flavour 🙂 it took me ages to find a cake recipe where you can actually taste peanut butter! This recipe does just that 🙂
I added an extra thick peanut butter cream cheese filling in the middle of the cake because this filling is one of the best fillings you’ll ever taste! 🙂
I’ve made this cake frosted with both dark chocolate and fudge chocolate frostings, it works beautifully both ways 🙂
I waited to share a few things about myself with you all 🙂 just to get to know each other on a more personal level 🙂
All me ❤
- I’m a true Libra, it’s super hard for me to choose just one thing, I have too many favourites!
- My favourite colour is blue but I love black too especially for clothing (except during the summer when I love wearing white 🙂 )
- I love all animals, my family and I have many pets, I grew up with a great half Labrador half Golden Retriever we called Tommy and a cat named Chance 🙂 As well as my very own chocolate brown, floppy eared rabbit I called Charlotte.
- My favourite chocolate is Reeses cups (no surprise) and Kinder but during my childhood I was addicted to Bounty!
- My favourite scent is coconut and vanilla. I love scented candles too 🙂
- I love to travel, the whole experience is so intriguing to me. I also love to drive and made sure to get my license as soon as the law permitted.
- My first car was a white Hyundai Sonata which was given to me as a gift from my parents 🙂
- I’m a major nerd getting straight As in school and never missing classes. I loved Science and Geography but I did get into basketball for a while too.
- As a hobby I love LOVE to read! I can read pretty much anything, stories and novels, fiction or non fiction but I thoroughly enjoy murder mysteries. My favourite authors are Karin Slaughter, Lee Child, Robin Cook and of course Stephen King. Music is also a big part of my existence 🙂 I love having music playing whenever there is a chance for it.
- Learning to bake is the best thing that’s ever happened to me 🙂 I may just be a small blog/page but I’d rather be that knowing that you guys benefit and enjoy the recipes and posts I share than being big with just views and nobody making and enjoying my recipes 🙂
Have a slice my friends 🙂
Ultimate Reeses Cake
Makes one layered 8 or 9 inch cake or 24 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (100 gms) butter
- 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
For the filling (recipe can be halved)
- 1 cup (8 oz) cream cheese
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon (60 gms) softened butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the ganache (optional)
- 50 gms chopped chocolate (milk or semisweet)
- 25 mls whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and flour 2 round or square 8 inch cake tins.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt until very well combined.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and both sugars until pale and fluffy. (Click here for a picture tutorial).
- Add in peanut butter and whisk well.
- Add in eggs one at a time whisking well between each addition. Whisk in vanilla.
- Whisk in flour mix and milk in alternating batches in 5 additions starting and ending with flour. Batter will be thick and smooth.
- Divide batter between cake tins and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until cooked through. Cool on wire rack before filling and frosting.
For the filling
- Whisk cream cheese and peanut butter together until combined and creamy.
- Add in icing sugar and milk. Whisk in vanilla to taste.
For the frosting
- Whisk butter until creamy about 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add in icing sugar and cocoa powder alternating with cream. Turn whisk to high and whisk until frosting is creamy and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla to taste. Whisk for another minutes on high to make the frosting extra fluffy.
For the ganache
- Combine chocolate and cream in a bowl and microwave for a few seconds just until the chocolate starts to melt.
- Whisk the ganache until all the chocolate has melted and is well combined. Set aside to cool slightly and thicken.
Recipe adapted from Peanut Butter Lovers Cupcakes.