One of the best things about baking or cooking is that there is always something that can be put together, whether you have all the ingredients needed or you need to substitute, especially at times when you’re tired or busy but you need to make a meal. These naan breads have been a life saver for me numerous times 🙂
My family and I like to eat bread with pretty much everything, we’re just major fresh bread people 😉 , and I cannot tell you how many times we would be craving bread as a small midnight snack only to find we have none! That’s where these come in 🙂 I found this recipe and after making them for the first time I never looked back!
They are soft, delicious and so easy to make! I love how you can cook them on the stove without having to put the oven on and they still turn out nice and fluffy.
You can add in different herbs and spices if you like and of course brush them with butter 🙂
I always char my naans on the flame, mainly because it’s fun 🙂 but it really does give a wonderful flavour to the naans.
Stove Top Naan
- 3 cups flour (white or whole wheat or mixed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2/3 – 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a bowl, whisk milk, yoghurt and water. Stir in sugar.
- Add flour mix to liquids, adding more water if needed. Knead for a few minutes, until a smooth dough forms.
- Cover and rest for 10 minutes.
- Add the oil into dough and knead again. The dough should be soft and smooth.
- Cover and rest for 2 hours for the dough to leaven.
- Roll dough into medium sized balls. Roll out into circles, not too fat nor too thin (about 1/4 inch thickness).
- Heat a griddle or tava. Partly cook both sides of the naan on the hot griddle.
- Using tongs, place naan onto an open flame on the stove to continue cooking until browned and slightly charred. They will puff up.
- Brush with butter if desired and serve.
Recipe adapted from vegrecipesofindia.