Cookies! Super decadent double chocolate fudge cookies to be exact 🙂 you guys will NOT be able to eat only one of these, just giving you all a heads up! They are so moist and chocolatey, crispy on the edges and chewy brownie like centres 🙂 exactly what a chocolate cookie should be.
My sister has been asking me to make double chocolate cookies since forever and I FINALLY got around to making them!
These cookies are super easy to make, just your typical cookie dough method and you can stuff them with anything you like 🙂 I used Galaxy and Aero in this batch but other chocolate candies like M&Ms and Hersheys go deliciously well!
Lets get started making these indulgent treats 🙂
Start by creaming the butter and sugars well until creamy and paled. This is the most crucial stage of any baked treat because it provides texture and ensures that what you’re baking rises well.
Add in the egg and vanilla and whisk well to combine.
I always switch to using a wooden spoon after whisking the egg and stir in the dry ingredients by hand.
Measure out the flour, baking soda and salt. Add in the cocoa and whisk well to combine. Typically you’re supposed to do this as the first step but ever since I started baking I always do it after I’ve started creaming the butter and sugar.
Stir in the dry mix and the milk slowly, taking care not to over mix.
I stir a couple of times before folding in the chocolate chips/chunks, just to make sure the dough doesn’t get over worked.
Fold only until the chips or chunks are barely combined. It’s okay if there are still streaks of flour visible.
Dough will be thick and sticky.
These cookies need to be refrigerated for a couple of hours or over night. This truly brings out the best flavour in any cookie and helps to hold their shape.
Roll dough into balls and press a few chips or chunks on top.
Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Or if you’re out then just use a floured baking tray 🙂
If you’d like to make your cookies even thicker then roll them into balls then squash them slightly to make taller and more oblong shaped like so:
Take out the cookies when they are slightly under baked because they will continue cooking once they are out, this makes them extra moist and fudgy.
Cool slightly and eat warm or cold with a tall glass of milk 🙂
This recipe makes as many cookies as desired according to size. Here’s a batch of minis stuffed with M&Ms! 🙂
They sort of look like something from Hansel & Gretel!
I literally had to hide these two just to be able to take a picture and eat them once they’re cooled! They really are super delicious! 🙂
Double Chocolate Cookies
Makes 8 jumbo, 10 large, 12 medium cookies or as many small ones as desired
- 1/2 cup (100 gms) softened butter
- 1/2 cup (100gms) soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (50 gms) white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (125 gms) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (48gms) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup dark or semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks plus more for topping*
- In a bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt until well combined. Add in cocoa and whisk well. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, whisk butter for about a minute until creamy. Add in both sugar gradually while whisking. Once all the sugar has been added, set whisk on high and cream for 3 – 4 minutes until fluffy and pale in colour.
- Add in egg and vanilla. Whisk well to combine.
- Stir in about two thirds of the dry mix using a wooden spoon then add in the milk followed by the rest of the dry mix. Fold in chocolate chips/chunks. Take care not to over mix the dough.
- Cover well with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably over night.
- Remove from fridge and leave to warm up for 20 – 30 minutes, long enough for you to scoop or roll into balls.
- Preheat oven to 160C and bake cookies for 10 – 11 minutes, making sure to take them out slightly under baked because they will continue cooking once out of the oven.
- Leave cookies on baking tray for about 10 minutes then cool on wire rack.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
*Dark or semi sweet chocolate chunks are highly recommended as they bring out the best chocolate flavour and work very well with this recipe. Chop your own chocolate bars and add in the chunks along with all the shavings.
Recipe by the dutch baker.
Updated on 14/2/2017.