I am in love with these chocolate cupcakes! The first instalment of my Candy Chocolate bakes, these are perfect as a show of what is to come in this category 🙂
I have an obsession with incorporating all types of candies and chocolate bars into my cakes, cookies and desserts and these cupcakes are just right for using Smarties.
It was a while since the last time i ate Smarties and i had actually forgotten about them 🙂 I recently got a few packs and immediately started brain storming ideas for a cupcake.
I am so happy with how they turned out, an insanely delicious and fudgey chocolate cupcake stuffed with Smarties topped with a fluffy and creamy frosting. That frosting! Isn’t it too cute! I actually wanted to make a swirl frosting but went for a colourful rainbow frosting instead 🙂 perfect for matching the colours of the Smarties!
These cupcakes were the most fun to make! especially if you have kids 🙂 let them be creative and help with the decorating.
Let me start with the chocolate cupcake, Oh my gosh! One of the best cupcakes I’ve ever had! They’re just so moist and fudgey and the flavour is spot on 🙂 what’s more is that they are ridiculously easy to make! The recipe doesn’t even require a mixer, just a good old hand whisk is good.
Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, carve out a little hole in the middle and fill with Smarties. A little bit of frosting can be added too if you like.
Fill in with some Smarties and then cover as best as you can with the carved out piece of cake.
The rainbow frosting is quite simple to make. Using my ultimate buttercream recipe, all you have to do is make some streaks of colour using food colouring by taking small amounts of frosting and tinting them with just a hint of colour.
Dollop the frosting on top of the remaining frosting and using a knife make some streaks, just once vertically and once horizontally. Make sure you don’t mix in the colours too much or else you won’t have streaks.
Scoop into a piping bag and frost your cupcakes in any way you like. Top with extra Smarties and devour!
Smarties Surprise Cupcakes With Rainbow Frosting
Recipe makes 14 – 15 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (100 gms) softened butter*
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (185 mls) hot coffee or boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (200 gms) sugar**
- 1 cup (125 gms) all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 – 3 packets Smarties (M&Ms or Reeses Pieces can be substituted)
For the frosting
- 1 cup (200 gms) salted butter
- 3 cups (375 gms) icing/powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons cream
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Food colouring: red, blue, green, orange etc
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat oven 180C/350F. Line a muffin tray with cupcake cups.
- In a small bowl, measure the cocoa powder and pour the hot coffee or water on top. Stir to mix well. Add in the butter and vanilla extract and whisk until the butter has melted and mixture is combined.
- Measure the flour, baking soda and salt. Add in the sugar and whisk well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg and sour cream until well combined. Slowly pour in the cocoa/butter mixture and whisk well.
- Once combined, pour the liquid mix onto the flour/sugar mix and whisk batter just until no more lumps remain.
- Scoop batter into cupcake cups and bake for 15 – 18 minutes until cooked through, toothpick or knife comes out with a few moist crumbs but no batter.
- Cool on wire rack and frost.
To make the frosting:
- Whisk butter on high speed until very light and creamy, 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add in icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time whisking for 45- 60 seconds between each addition.
- Whisk in cream as needed. Frosting should be very creamy and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla extract to taste and whisk frosting for an extra 1 – 2 minutes.
- Take about 1/3 of the frosting and divide into smaller amounts depending on how many colours you are using. Tint each dollop of frosting with a drop of colour then spoon back on top of the remaining frosting.
- Score the frosting with a knife once vertically then once horizontally. Scoop frosting into a piping back and frost cupcakes. Top with extra Smarties.
*I have used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup oil in these cupcakes and the outcome was delicious.
**I decreased the amount of sugar to 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons to make the cupcakes extra chocolatey but that’s up to personal preferences.
Cupcake recipe adapted from City Cupcakes